I take my portable forge, some coal, some hammers and off I go. I talk to people do a good deal of forging, it’s a really good spectacle with sparks, fire, heat and hammering.
The blacksmithing demonstrations that I’ve done have proved to be very popular, there’s always plenty of people who watch the forging in process. I normally make small items, such as nails, knives or fire pokers, they can be made quite quickly.
I’ve done blacksmith demonstrations for the:
- Rickmansworth Canal Festival, in Hertfordshire
- Woodland Trust at Tring Park, Tring, Herts
- Woodland Trust at Heartwood (the new forest to the north west of St Albans), Herts
- Chorleywood Village Festival, Herts
- National Trust at the Wimpole Estate, near Royston in Cambridgeshire
- Wayside Farm in Kings Langley for Open Farms Sunday